Thursday, June 18, 2009

Stress, stress, oh the stress...

"We are not necessarily doubting that God will do the best for us, we are wondering

how painful the best will turn out to be." -C.S. Lewis


So I have had this quote for some time. It is in my rolodex of scripture/quotes I keep at my desk. (It was given to me in college as a gift from my friend Emmie and it has gone to each job since then; it's a busy little thing.) I came upon it again today and found myself thinking how true it is. I know that God's got my, and my families, best in store for us, but it is not always easy. God has never promised a smooth paved road, he promises to be with us and guide us along the way, but we can hit "character building" road bumps along the way. My pastor says. "When you squeeze a lemon you know you get-lemonade. but, squeeze a Christian and you get? It's unknown." I want to respond with love and kindness and prayer when I am squeezed. Now in Rachel-land, not everything comes out roses and pretty words. It is hard to stay under and let God do his work in me. I know He will complete His work and that it will be in His timing and His way- "He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Christ Jesus." Phil 11:6-but the process is not simple or short. It leaves me thinking what's next? I'm not one to dare or tempt God, so I will not really ask Him that question. I know He will answer with more "opportunities" for me to learn. Now while I am thankful for the learning experience afterward, I am not longing for the next one either. God has his own timing and I don't understand it, nor do I really like it at times of course, but He has his reasons. He is building my trust and reliance on Him. There are some very tricky things coming up in our life soon and I don't know how it will turn out...but it will all be according to God's will.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I will be praying for you. Love you guys and miss you so much.